Today is our nomadiversary, the day we started our life of full-time travel. This year, 2022, marks our 8th nomadiversary and the start of our ninth year on the road!
Eight years ago, we locked the door to our Austin apartment for the last time and moved into our first home on wheels. Since then, we haven’t owned a house or property.
CONSTANTLY SHEDDING POSSESSIONS, WE BELIEVE IN VERBS, NOT NOUNS.
I write a nomadiversary article every year, but this year feels different. One year ago, we were full of plans, concrete ones. But it’s one thing to make plans, and another to see them come to pass. Were all the pieces going to fall into place, so we could begin the next chapter of our lives: driving around the world?
Here’s a look back at our past year on the road:
- Launched our YouTube channel
- Officially became full-time overlanders when we sold our 25-foot Winnebago RV and moved into our Jeep Wrangler
- Spent a couple of months kicking around the western U.S. in our Wrangler
- Ordered our 2021 Jeep Gladiator from the factory and picked it up in Denver at the end of May
- Closed our LLC, the social media marketing we founded more than a decade before that fueled our travels for so many years
- Began a 45-day build-out across four different states, turning a stock Gladiator into a global home on wheels
- Attended several events, including Overland Expo Mountain West and Overland Expo West, to teach about our overlanding life as a family
- Did all the many things required for closing up our whole life in the United States
- Crossed the border into Mexico on October 9
- Spent the rest of the year enjoying beautiful, wonderful, charming interior Mexico
This was the year we’ve been waiting for since 2018, when we found out what overlanding was and made a goal to drive around the world. Everything has fallen into place.
In last year’s article, I wrote, “One year from now, I will not be writing our nomadiversary article from the United States.” That dream came true!
No matter how many miles we go, may we never cease to stay true to ourselves. May we inspire, empower, and encourage through transparency and love, never bending to create an image that “plays well” online.
Transparency is harder than it looks. But we think it’s why you’re here and we believe it has inherent value.
If you’re interested in our drive around the world, there are several places you can connect:
- Our Patreon community, which we update first when we have limited Internet connectivity
- Our YouTube channel, where we publish a new video every Thursday (Internet-permitting)
- Instagram, where we publish a lot of short-form video content through our story and reels
Thanks for being here.
Leave a Reply