Today is our nomadiversary, the day we started our life of full-time travel. This year, 2023, marks our 9th nomadiversary and the start of our tenth year on the road!
Nine years ago, we locked the door to our Austin, Texas, apartment for the last time and moved into our first home on wheels. Since then, we haven’t owned a house or property.
CONSTANTLY SHEDDING POSSESSIONS, WE BELIEVE IN VERBS, NOT NOUNS.
We’ve been out of our home country for 16 months and they’ve been the most challenging, growth-inducing months of our full-time journey.
Here’s a look back at our past year on the road (take a deep breath):
- Completed five months in interior Mexico, which will always hold our hearts in a special way (maybe we’ll settle there after driving around the world)
- Drove through every country in Central America, from Belize to Panamá–seven countries in all
- Caspian began swimming with confidence and joy
- Endured almost daily torrential rain from May into November
- Got our awning taken out by a tornado tailwind in Honduras
- Hit 20,000 subscribers on YouTube
- Hid from a passing hurricane in Costa Rica
- Caspian attended three schools: preschool in Mexico, Spanish school in Guatemala, and another preschool in Costa Rica
- Built our Patreon community into something special, our community of refuge where we can be 100% honest about what this trip takes
- Got super stuck in Nicaraguan mud for two-and-a-half hours
- Published an epic video tour of our Jeep Gladiator
- Brittany continued writing for Expedition Portal and her first Overland Journal article published (next article is in the Spring 2023 issue)
- Shipped our Jeep to a new continent
- Began our overland journey through South America, which we expect will last 2-3 years before we ship to Africa
- Brittany had major surgery in Bogotá with a month of recovery before we could start traveling again
- Caspian started reading
- Built beautiful friendships with locals as we passed through, and other overlanders on the road
The count: 11 countries. 2 continents.
No matter how many kilometers we go, may we never cease to stay true to ourselves. May we inspire, empower, and encourage through transparency and love, never bending to create an image that “plays well” online.
Transparency is harder than it looks. But we think it’s why you’re here and we believe it has inherent value.
If you’re interested in our drive around the world, there are several places you can connect:
- Join Patreon today
Receive behind-the-scenes access to real-time video, journal updates, and other resources as a member of our exclusive community of supporters.
- Subscribe to our email list
Get an email update every 2-4 weeks with the latest highlights of our journey, so you never miss any big news.
- Subscribe on YouTube
Watch our trip across all six habitable continents and learn more about the overlanding lifestyle.
- Follow on Instagram
Though you’ll find us on every major social media platform, Instagram is our most active community where you can experience transparent and vibrant glimpses into what our atypical life is like.
Thanks for celebrating this milestone with us and being part of the journey.